Saturday 4 February 2012

Graded Unit Started

The graded unit is the only unit of the course where you're assigned a mark for your work, i.e. A, B, C or D, all the other pieces are pass or fail.  We had four choices of topics to undertake for the graded unit which included a 3D fly through, character rigging for a strategy game, emergency shelter design and creating a commercial with anthropomorphic characters.  After some thinking I decided to go for the character rigging option because I eventually want to become a character TD but there were other reasons also, for instance; for the 3D fly through you had to render out a 30 second animation and I think I might have found it hard to get the correct balance between high quality modelling, light and texture versus an exceptable render time.  As for the emergency shelter design, I have adsolutely about the current designs for such shelter or the materials and other components which make them and also I felt more passionate for the other options and sometimes when you have to work late into the night it's passion which makes you do it.  The last option, the anthropomorphic character advert, I gave some consideration to because it involved an array of characters and I would've enjoyed the challenge of rigging, skinning and animating them on time, however the advert was for breakfast cereal and I had to chose atleast four of the following characters: teapot, mug, milk jug, toast, butter, pot of jam, egg in an eggcup or fruit and I really had no idea of how I was going to effectively and efficiently texture them; many of the items in the list would require good knolwedge of reflections, refractions and subsurface scattering, so I decided against it.

No comments:

Post a Comment