Thursday 26 January 2012

Character modelling brief

For the Character modelling brief we had to come up with one organic and one non-organic model and animate them interact them in some way.  I chose to create an overweight man trying to figure out how to work a treadmill and inadvertently making the treadmill incline and go very fast thus causing him to be throw off the end.  Initially I had planned to do a more elaborate scene with many other accidents with gym equipment, however, luckily for my character, time restrictions meant that I had to limit it to just the treadmill.  It was the first time that I had used Mudbox to add facial detail to a character and used Mudbox's 3D painting capabilities, I also used 3ds Max's Freeform tools found on the Ribbon toolbar for retopology - another first.  from the outset I had planned to use Max's new hardware renderer QuickSilver after a success first test (http://vimeo.com/34221567), however using QS for interior scene which require indirect illuination gives very poor results which is shame because that twas the only aspect which I found that it fell far short of mental ray.  To rig my character, I used CAT - another first - and although it gives you the ability to create fairly complex rigs quickly, I found that there were a few bugs in the system which need to be sorted before it can be a serious alternative to Character Studio's older Biped system, for instance when I rotated my characters pelvis backwards the leg bones would skew slightly which, after skinning, lead to knee buckling.  Below are some development images









I tried to upload the stress test video I mentioned earlier, but it didn't work.  I'll try to upload it at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment